Availability

The Old Railway Station Coleford Gloucestershire England
Coleford Great Western Railway Museum is a railway museum located in Coleford, Gloucestershire, England. The museum was founded in 1988. Based in the former GWR Goods Shed along the Coleford Railway.| Built in 1883, this listed building is the last surviving part of Coleford Station, which once connected the town with Monmouth and Lydney.| The collection covers the history of the railways in the Forest of Dean, dating from 1809 when the first Act of Parliament allowing a railway in Britain was passed, through the 19th century and the building of the Severn & Wye and Great Western branches connecting Coleford with Lydney (to the south, 1875) and Monmouth (to the north, 1883) respectively, and the Severn Railway Bridge (1879, once the longest in England). It continues into the 20th with the decline of passenger traffic after World War 1, the survival of the former Severn & Wye line as a goods only branch until the 1960s, and the revival of the Lydney Junction - Parkend section as the Dean Forest Railway in the 1970s.| The collection includes photographs and documents (many dating from the Victorian era), railway artifacts such as signs, signalling equipment, tools and locomotive fittings, static models in 00, 0, 1, 3.5", 5" and 7.25" gauges, a restored signal box, full-sized railway vehicles including a restored steam locomotive, and a 7.25" gauge miniature railway with steam and electric locomotives.
More Information >>
Featured Hotels
CLICK TO BOOK!