St Michaels Church Llanrug, Churches and Chapels Llanrug, Gwynedd - Wales where to go, what to see and where to stay in Wales

Availability

A4086 Llanrug Gwynedd Wales
The ancient Church of St Michael, part of which dates back to the 13th Century, stands on the outskirts of the village of Llanrug, in Gwynedd, North Wales. | The plan of the Church is Cruciform, with shallow transepts. St. Michaels Church in the early part of the last century, could be seen from its elevated position for a great distance in every direction. Ships coming in on the Irish Sea, during the conflict of two world wars, crossing the River Seiont and Cadnant, looking out for the Bell tower of the Church, as a beacon, with its white washed exterior in order to ascertain their location. | At the entrance of the church grounds, we pass through a Lych gate situated at the North of the Church, there is an inscribed tablet set in concrete, the inscription, although well worn states that it was built in 1714 and donated by the Revd Rice. Part of the nave dates back to the 13th century and re-roofed in the 15th century with the shallow transepts added a century later. | Only one ancient window has survived on the North wall of the Chancel. St Michaels Church was probably re-built following its present cruciform plan not earlier than the 15th century, however, there is no previous evidence of the former building, whilst the roof and principals are ancient, very simple in design, curved on the underside with collars, however curiously, the second principle in the nave, west of the transepts has hammered beams and openings above the collar are shaped into a central quatefoil and two side trefoils.
More Information >>
Featured Hotels
CLICK TO BOOK!