is located two miles South of Llandudno
and two miles East of Deganwy
in a beautiful country setting. The church is dedicated to St. Hilary
and is in the diocese of Saint Asaph. It is the oldest church in the parish
of Llanrhos yet the church we see today was extensively rebuilt in 1865.
the practice of Christianity here goes way back to the mid 6th Century
King of Gwynedd (who occupied a stronghold on the hills called
the Vardre above Deganwy)
built the original church on this site. Indeed Maelgwn (Maelgwyn) himself
sought sanctuary in the church from the great yellow fever that was spreading
throughout the country. He prostrated himself before the altar of the
church and prayed for his life, but it was to no avail and he died a few
The original church was replaced in about 1282, (one of the church's
Fonts dates from the Norman period) and although this medieval church
was yet again replaced in the 19th Century it is believed that the Nave
and Chancel walls were built by monks from the monastery at Maenan Abbey
in the Conwy valley and that the present building incorporates the roof
beams and several other features of the late medieval church.
The church is in a charming location, it is popular for wedding ceremonies,
and the grave yard looks a nice place to rest. Behind the church is Llanrhos
schoolroom. This was founded in 1822 to educate boys and girls from poor
families in the parish and today it is used as the Church Hall and Sunday
school. Close by is Ffynnon
Santes Fair (Saint Mary's Well) . A local resident Mr Ken Davies of
Llanrhos tells the story of how he rediscovered the old well in January
1994 and the work that took place to clear the site and expose the well.
Llanrhos Church is just a few miles away from what is probably the smallest
church in Britain. St Trillo's Chapel
and Holy Well is on the sea front nearby at Rhos on Sea.