Availability

Carew Pembrokeshire Wales
Click for more information
The precise origin of Carew Mill is uncertain. It is possible that a mill worked by a mill leat running from the Carew River pre-dated the building of the causeway. Documentary evidence indicates a mill of some kind in existence as early as 1542. The first reference to a causeway comes in a commission of 1630 which indicates that Sir John Carew had restored the floodgates and causeway walls some 15 years earlier. The present building probably dates from the early 19th century and indeed one of the two mill wheels carries the date 1801. The term "French Mill", often used about Carew, may be a reference to the use of French burr stones. The fortunes of the mill were restored by the revival in agriculture in the late 18th century and from that time the mill was constantly in use. Activity finally ceased in 1937 and from that time onwards the building lay derelict. Renovation was carried out by the Carew estate with the aid of funds from the Historic Buildings Council of Wales, Pembrokeshire County Council and Pembroke Rural District Council. This work was completed in 1972. The National Park Authority acquired the lease of the mill in 1983 and has continued with restoration and improvement work, including the provision of the reception area, audio-visual facilities and a special exhibition on the Story of Milling.
More Information >>
Featured Hotels
CLICK TO BOOK!