Availability

Neuadd Idris, Eldon Square Dolgellau Gwynedd Wales
Click for more information
Ty Siamas (The National Centre for Welsh Folk Music). This lovely old building in the centre of Dolgellau had fallen into disuse after variously being used as a town hall, assembly room, market hall, cinema, dance hall and grain store since being built in around 1870. It has been fully refurbished and re-opened as Ty Siamas in June 2007. Today there are two arcades along the sides. In 1948 the Royal National Eisteddfod was held in Dolgellau. That is when they changed the name of the building to Neuadd Idris. For most of the 20th Century the Hall was used as a dance hall, and in the 50s and 60s it was a popular folk dancing venue. Then from the 70s onwards it became popular for discos, gigs and concerts. The first Sesiwn Fawr was held in Neuadd Idris in 1992. Unfortunately the building fell into disuse and in August 2000 the last public event was held there and it was not publicly used again until Ty Siamas was opened in June 2007. It is named after Elis Siamas, from the nearby village of Llanfachreth. He lived in the late 17th and early 18th Centuries and is credited with the development of the triple harp which is synonymous with Welsh harp music.
More Information >>
Featured Hotels
CLICK TO BOOK!