St Twrogs Church Llandwrog, Churches and Chapels Llandwrog, Gwynedd - Wales where to go, what to see and where to stay in Wales

Availability

Llandwrog Gwynedd Wales
St Twrog's Church is located in the village of Llandwrog, Gwynedd, North Wales.| Llandwrog Church is a Victorian church in a Decorated Gothic style, built in 1856-60 on the site and in the footprint of, the medieval parish church. It was built as part of a model estate village by the then Lord Newborough. The church comprises a nave, transepts, chancel, south chancel chapel and north vestry; the south-west tower has a tall broach spire. The church is notable for its complete high Victorian interior of exceptional quality and it retains several notable features (mostly monuments) from the previous church. It has a Victorian octagonal stone pulpit with traceried panels and tapered shaft, the south housing the lectern, and an old wooden pulpit incorporating a fine early 16th century panel, probably of Flemish origin, depicting the Crucifixion. | Saint Twrog’s Day is celebrated on either 26th June or 15th August. | The tower of Llandwrog Church is 291 feet high. In the shade of the tower is the gravestone of Ellis Wyn o Wyrfai, poet, writer and clergyman 1827 - 1895. | It is an enormous and thick slab – in fact it is the biggest in the cemetery with a carving of a harp and two leeks on it. The story goes that the stone was moved from Moel Tryfan according to the wishes of Ellis Wyn himself.
More Information >>
Featured Hotels
CLICK TO BOOK!