St Marys Church Caldicot, Churches and Chapels Caldicot, Monmouthshire - Wales where to go, what to see and where to stay in Wales

Availability

Church Road Caldicot Monmouthshire Wales
Caldecot (cold shelter) is mentioned in the Domesday book of 1086. A charter of King John refers to the church here. It was built during that time by Augustinian canons from Llantony Secunda priory in Gloucester (founded by Milo Fitzwalter, Lord of Caldicot, constable of England) to replace the earlier church of St Bride which stood on this site before 900.| The canons built 'Llantony Secunda Manor' in Church Road. The church was built soon after Milo Fizwalter’s father constructed the keep of Caldicot castle (Castell Concuit) sometime before 1127.| This beautiful and ancient parish church of 'our lady of Caldecot' was enlarged in the 14th and 15th centuries and further restored in Victorian times. It contains Caldicot's war memorials and its tenor bell, the oldest of a ring of eight, dates from 1450.| The church has several stained glass windows of interest.
More Information >>
Featured Hotels
CLICK TO BOOK!