Availability

Ystwyth Valley Cwmystwyth Ceredigion Wales
Hafod Church, Eglwys Newydd, is located at Cwmystwyth, Ceredigion, Wales. The first church at Hafod was built in 1620 by Morgan Herbert, one of the early Squires of the Hafod Estate. Thomas Johnes inherited the Hafod Estate in the late 18th century and established himself as a pioneer in new forestry and farming methods - his picturesque estate had become an essential destination for early visitors. He built himself a beautiful new mansion designed by Thomas Baldwin of Bath, and also wished for a more elegant church. ln 1803 he commissioned James Wyatt to design an impressive new church. Wyatt was best known as the restorer of Salisbury Cathedral and some extravagantly Gothic country houses.| There are some unusual features to this beautiful Gothic church in that the "east" window in fact faces south-west. The font, made of Coade Stone, is decorated with carved roses, the Johnes coat of Arms and figures representing the cardinal virtues. One window contained sixteenth century Flemish stained glass brought over from the Low Countries by Thomas Johnes, during the French Revolution. lt was indeed an outstanding Gothic building. | The outward appearance of the church has not changed very much but unfortunately the roof and the internal Gothic furniture, fittings and paintings were lost or badly damaged by a fire in the church, in April, 1932. The font survived amidst the charred fallen roof timbers, but tragically the beautiful marble memorial, sculpted by Sir Francis Chantrey in memory of Mariamne, the only child of Thomas Johnes, was damaged beyond repair.| Eglwys Newydd, more usually known as Hafod Church is home to a carved oak screen – a memorial to the men of Cwmystwyth who fell during the Great War. Services are held in the church at 10-30a.m. on the 1st and 2nd Sunday, of each month (as of 2013).| The church is open to the public every day between 10-30am and 4-30pm from Easter to the end of September.
More Information >>
Featured Hotels
CLICK TO BOOK!