Dale Peninsula, St Ishmaels, Pembrokeshire, Wales,
Saint Ishmael’s Church is the parish church of the village of Saint Ishmael in Pembrokeshire, South Wales. The church lies to the south of the village, hidden in a small valley, indeed almost hidden in a hollow near the Milford Haven.
The church is dedicated to Ishmael the 6th Century Cornish saint, a disciple of St. David. He became Bishop of St Davids upon the latter’s death.
In the Age of the Saints, it may have been the seat of the bishop of the cantref of Rhos. The Laws of Hywel Dda (940-945 AD) say the church was one of seven Bishop’s houses of Dyfed. With the Norman conquest, St Ishmael's became part of the Lordship of Haverfordwest.
It may have been part of a monastic college, the harbour at Monk Haven and the landscape feature of Monkhill deriving from this.
The present church was built in 1100 AD with additions in the 13th and 14th Centuries and it was restored in the 19th Century. There are three medieval inscribed stones at the church.....
Review Saint Ishmaels Church in Wales.