Llanasa Church, Churches and Chapels Llanasa, Flintshire - Wales where to go, what to see and where to stay in Wales

Availability

Llanasa Flintshire Wales
The Parish Church of Llanasa is situated in the beautiful conservation village of Llanasa in the County of Flintshire, North Wales. The church, dedicated to St Asaph and St Kentigern (Cyndeyrn), is recorded in Domesday Book and there has been a place of worship on this site for over 1,400 years when it is thought that St Asaph erected the first building between 560 and 573. | It has been said that the relics of St Asaph were originally held in the church : | "By the year 1281 the relics of St Asaph had been removed from Llanasa and were enshrined in the newly-built cathedral...". [by The Venerable T.W. Pritchard, Archdeacon of Montgomery] | The present double-naved structure was erected in the 15th Century in Perpendicular style but the variable fabric suggests that the building has undergone widespread renovation and rebuilding over the centuries. Conceivably the south nave is earlier than its northern counterpart and some of the walling on the south could be from a 13th Century or 14th Century structure. | Inside the church there are several items of interest including the east window, a Perpendicular style font, a brass chandelier, 14th Century sepulchral slab of the father of Owain Glyndwr, and a 17th Century pulpit. | The east window dates back to the 16th Century, and is thought to have been brought here from Basingwerk Abbey after the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII in 1536. | The font is to be found directly inside the main door on the left hand side. It is Perpendicular in style with Tudor embellishments. | The brass chandelier in the chancel was given to the church in 1758 by Edward Foulkes. | The sepulchral stone of Gruffydd Fychan the father of the Welsh freedom fighter, Owain Glyndwr, lies within the church vestry. It bears the lion rampant on a shield with a sword underlying the shield The shield is inscribed around the edges with Lambardic capitals and is typical of the 14th century masons decorative work. | The inscription reads: HIC LACET GRVFVD VACHAN - here lies Gruffydd Fychan (or Vaughan) | This slab was originally in the centre of the south aisle and it would appear that Gruffydd Fychan was buried somewhere in this church sometime between 1350 and 1370. | The small, irregularly shaped churchyard includes a 1605 tomb chest for Sir Piers Mostyn, a sundial of 1762 and a reconstructed 1725 lych-gate. |
More Information >>
Featured Hotels
CLICK TO BOOK!