St David's Church Barmouth, Churches and Chapels Barmouth, Gwynedd - Wales where to go, what to see and where to stay in Wales

Availability

Church Street Barmouth Gwynedd Wales
St David’s is a neat, unpretentious church overlooking the harbour. It was built in 1830 on the site of an old ship-building yard. It was originally the fisherman's church. Cruciform in plan, it is ashlar built of large blocks with buttresses at all corners. In 1886 a new approach was formed at the north-east corner. | Additions and alterations were made over the course of the coming decades. The current altar was built in 1880, a font formed of five stone centre columns, was donated by Margaret and Edmund Humphreys and family and was originally placed by the main entrance. Mr Alex R Gibbs of London created and installed a wonderful stained glass window at the east end behind the altar in the 1880's. Another significant addition during the 20th Century was the installation of a 2 manual Nicholson Organ during 1910 which also included the construction of a new room to contain all of the new Organ's water pressure pumping equipment. In 1974 Lady Russon donated oil painting copies of cartoons drawn by Raphael depicting the lives of St Peter and St Paul - The originals are now housed at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.
More Information >>
Featured Hotels
CLICK TO BOOK!