Availability

Llanmaes Vale_of_Glamorgan Wales
St Cadoc’s (sometime St Cattwg’s ) church is the parish church of the village of Llanmaes in the Vale of Glamorgan, South Wales. The present building is first mentioned in a document of 1254, although it is believed to be a much earlier Celtic foundation. It is a Grade 2* listed building and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower, added in 1632, containing three bells. | Pre-reformation murals that have escaped damage were recently exposed during renovations. A mural of St George and the Dragon is one of only three such paintings in the country. | A wooden screen, the surviving part of the original wooden rood screen, divides the chancel and nave. The church holds a massive Norman stone font, tub-shaped with roll mountings on the rim. | The Churchyard holds a stone cross of circa.15th Century. It is a stone Calvary or churchyard cross base, made up of four steps similar in nature to crosses found in other churchyards across the Vale of Glamorgan. A modern cross is set in the original socket stone. | Llanmaes was noted in these parts for the long life of many of its inhabitants, and in the registers (dating from 1583) there are a number of people who are reputed to have lived to be more than a hundred years old.
More Information >>
Featured Hotels
CLICK TO BOOK!