Availability

Llangan Vale_of_Glamorgan Wales
St Canna’s Church sits in the village of Llangan between Bridgend and Cowbridge in the Vale of Glamorgan, South Wales. The church is dedicated to St Canna a 6th Century mother of saints and eventual nun in South Wales. Canna was supposedly a Breton princess, the daughter of King Tudur Mawr. Little is known of St Canna although Iolo Morganwg the Welsh poet, founder of the Gorsedd, liar and forger mentions St Canna in his writings. In later life, she certainly seems to have become a nun and lived at Llangan, Pembrokeshire. She founded the church at Llangan, where she was deemed important enough to have her image carved into the church cross. The nearby Ffynnon Ganna, Canna's Holy Well, was a site for pilgrimage for many centuries after her death. The church dates back to the 12th century, although the exterior was heavily restored in 1856. At the time, a nave, south porch and school rooms were added on to the north chancel and bellcote. In the churchyard, under a lych-gate type canopy, can be found a magnificent Celtic stone cross, which dates to the late 9th Century or early 10th Century. | Also within the grounds of the church can be found a medieval sandstone carved cross. It is a rare example of a 15th Century cross with four steps, a shaft and head carved on four sides. The cross has two tiers and a fully carved Calvary.
More Information >>
Featured Hotels
CLICK TO BOOK!