St Marys Church Dolgellau, Churches and Chapels Dolgellau, Gwynedd - Wales where to go, what to see and where to stay in Wales

Availability

Dolgellau Gwynedd Wales
Click for more information
St Mary's Church is located on the edge of the old town in Dolgellau, Gwynedd, West Wales. The church is on an ancient site and there are records of it in 1254. The current church is Early Georgian and was completed by 1723. Both the style of the church and the materials used to build the church are unusual for this part of Wales. Dressed slate stones have been used to construct the nave, and a mixture of rubble stone and slate for the crenellated tower. The large arched windows have a distinctive style with the corner stones lapping each other log cabin style. The tower was probably begun in 1727, it has two stages with arched openings similar to the windows of the nave. The interior is notable for the quality of the stained glass windows and the eight timber pillars. The huge mast-like timber posts were hauled over the hills from the forests of Dinas Mawddy by teams of oxen. The matching apse windows are probably by W. R. Williams of Dolgellau whilst the centre window of 1901 is by G.F. Bodley. The church houses a fourteenth century effigy of Meurig ab Ynyr Fychan.
More Information >>
Featured Hotels
CLICK TO BOOK!