St Mary's Church , Churches and Chapels Brecon, Powys - Wales where to go, what to see and where to stay in Wales

Availability

St Mary Street Brecon Powys Wales
Click for more information
The church of Saint Mary's Brecon and the dominating height of its splendid 16th century tower make it one of the most prominent buildings in the town. Saint Mary's began as a chapel of ease to Brecon priory but most of the building is dated to later medieval times. The magnificent West Tower was built in 1510 by Edward Stafford, Duke of Buckingham at a cost of two thousand pounds. In the tower there are 8 bells, the heaviest of which is 16 cwt, which are rung regularly. At 90ft high the tower is visible from all over the town. (Latest news on the Bells of St Mary's... In March 2007 the Bells, which have rung out since 1750, have been removed from the church tower to be taken away and refurbished. They will be missing for a few months but once refurbished will be returned to their position some 80 feet above the streets of Brecon Town and will hopefully ring out for another 250 years.)
More Information >>
Featured Hotels
CLICK TO BOOK!