St Julitta's Church, Churches and Chapels Capel Curig, Conwy County - Wales where to go, what to see and where to stay in Wales

Availability

Capel Curig Conwy_County Wales
Click for more information
St Julitta's Church stands near the junction of the Afon Llugwy with the Nant y Gwryd in Capel Curig, Conwy County, North Wales. St Julitta's was originally known as Curig's Chapel and it gave its name to the village of Capel Curig. As with most of the old churches in Wales the early chapel or “Llan”would have been of timber and wattle. Although of a very plain style the present church is of interest architecturally in as much as it is the smallest church in Snowdonia and is one of the few remaining churches built in the old style of being twice as long as it was wide. The nave and chapel were probably built in the 13th and 14th Centuries with the south Chapel added in the 15th Century. As the village grew in popularity in Victorian times the villagers faced the fact that they needed another church to accommodate the larger congregation and another church was opened in the village in 1883. The new church took the name of Curig and the dedication of the old church was then changed to St Julitta - Curig's mother. Although further renovations were made to St Julitta’s in the 19th Century the old church’s days were numbered and sadly St Julitta's was deconsecrated in the 1970’s. But help was at hand and the church was saved for the community by the Friends of St Julitta’s. It is now a registered charity ( no. 1068756) - with the aim of preserving the building, and restoring it for use by the community and visitors to the area.
More Information >>
Featured Hotels
CLICK TO BOOK!