Trelawnyd is a small village in Flintshire, North Wales. It is bordered by Gawenysgor to the north, Marian Cwm to the south west, Marian to the east and Dyserth to the west. Nearby towns and villages include Rhuallt, Prestatyn, Rhuddlan, St Asaph, Whitford, Axton, Llanasa and Gwespyr. The village was originally known as Newmarket, but after Rhyl was confirmed as being the leading market town, it changed its name to Trelawnyd, meaning 'Town full of wheat' in 1954.
St Michael's church dates back to 1291, although the present church was built in 1724. The building underwent heavy restoration in the 19th century and today consists of a nave, chancel, vestry, and south porch. The church yard contains a 14th century cross and 18th century tomb.
In March 1933, 35 villagers formed a choir (Côr Meibion Trelawnyd) to compete at the village Eisteddfod. Within a few months, it grew to 50 members, and has progressed to world renown with circa 100 members in 2010. In 1957, under conductor Neville Owen, a local schoolmaster, they won the National championships which were held at Bala. In 1973, under conductor Dr. Goronwy Wynne, they again won the National choir championship at Ruthin.
Watch the video of the Trelawnyd Male Voice Choir (Côr Meibion Trelawnyd) singing Myfanwy - one of Wales' most beautiful songs.