St George's-Super-Ely (sometimes St Georges) is situated 7 miles west of the city of Cardiff in the Vale of Glamorgan, South Wales. It sits on the banks of the river Ely which rises in mountains south of Tonypandy before entering the sea at Cardiff Bay. There are a number of walks in the area and the Valeways Heritage Trail passes close by as it meanders through St Brides super Ely some half a mile to the north of St Georges.
The parish church of St George sits outside the village, some half mile to the east, but fortunately for the parishioners, and any thirsty ramblers, so does the pub, the Greendown Inn.
St George's church dates back to the 13th century but includes some 14th and 15th century features. It was restored during the 19th century, with Victorian Gothic windows being added to the building. The church consists of a south porch, central tower (with unusual four gabled roof), chancel and nave.
The churchyard contains a Medieval cross with three steps of roughly coursed rubble with a socket stone from which rises the narrow chamfered shaft and replaced head of Maltese format.
The Greendown Inn, next door to the church claims to date back to the 15th century, although the date of 1620 also appears in one of the rooms. Blackened beams support the low ceiling in one room and an unusual fireplace with a curved wooden beam above it is a feature in another.