Rossett is located in the county borough of Wrexham, North Wales. The settlement of Rossett sits alongside the "old road,” the B5445, midway between the Welsh town of Wrexham to the south and the English City of Chester to the north. A Welsh border village it is located on the banks of the River Alyn close to its confluence with the River Dee which river forms part of the border between the Welsh and the English.
Rossett is surrounded by beautiful countryside through which there are plenty of good walks and the landscape is essentially flat for some 10 miles to the east and north with the Welsh hills rising almost immediately to the south and west.
The history of Rossett revolves around the history of the Old Mills and the history of Trevalyn Hall, home of the Trevor family. The first recorded mill, the Lower Mill, was mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. The Upper Mill was built in the 15th Century and in the 17th Century, 1661 as recorded on the gable, the Mill (Rossett Mill) was extended and renovated, replacing the earlier one. Around which time Sir John Trevor of Trevalyn Hall acquired the mill. Trevalyn Hall is a Grade II listed Elizabethan manor house built in 1576. The Trevor family owned the house and its grounds for several generations.
A visit to All Saints Church a few miles down the road in Gresford will be rewarded with some fine monuments and memorials to members of the Trevor family.
Staying within Rossett, a pleasant afternoon can be spent with a visit to the old mill, a short walk around the village rounded off with a cup of tea or something more substantial in the tea gardens of the Alyn Public House on the banks of the River Alyn.