Pentre sits south of Treorchy in the county of Rhondda Cynnon Taff, South Wales. It is surrounded by the villages and towns of Treherbert, Mountain Ash, Clydach Vale, Tonypandy and Pontypridd.
In days gone by, Pentre was a central hub for coal and by 1864 the Pentre Coal Company had dug deep shafts in the village. The mines were some of the most profitable of those in the Rhondda Valley, but those days are long since gone and today Pentre acts as a quiet place to visit whilst in South Wales.
St Peter's church has been described as the 'Cathedral of Rhondda', being the largest church in the valley. It was built in 1890 and has many Victorian features, such as the ornate windows and impressive tower, which contains eight bells and reaches a height of over 100ft.