Penrice is situated on the Gower Peninsula in South Wales. The village has close proximity to Oxwich (with its fabulous beach), Port Eynon, Black Pill and Rhossili, not to mention the city of Swansea.
The village of Oxwich and the fabulous Oxwich Beach is just a short walk, ..less than a mile away. Oxwich beach can be very busy at peak season, but the beach is so long that another short walk will lead to miles of open spaces and indeed the beautiful Three Cliffs Bay.
St Andrew's Church in Penrice is a Norman church of the early 12th Century. It was renovated in the late 19th Century. It is a fine looking church with a strong battlemented tower.
Although little remains of it, a castle once stood at Penrice. It is believed to have been built by Henry de Beaumont in the 12th century and from the de Beaumonts it was taken into the hands of the de Penres. Following attacks by the Welsh in the 1250s and 1260s, John de Penres strengthened the defence of the castle with stone walls. In 1362, his relation Robert de Penres faced difficulty when his castles were said to be in ruins and when he was convicted of murdering a woman in 1370, his estates were taken from him.
However, the castle soon came back into the hands of the de Pendres family when Robert's son regained the estates in 1391. Having no heirs, Penrice castle passed on from him to the de Mansels. The castle was used as accommodation well into the 18th century and still remains the largest castle on the Gower peninsula. The whole structure is now in a dangerous condition but the south wall can be seen from the footpath that runs past the 18th-century mansion on the estate immediately to the south.