Pennant is a village in the parish of Llanbadarn Trefeglwys, Ceredigion, West Wales. The village stands on the B4577 four miles east of Aberaeron and three miles south of Llanon.
There are several walks and rights of way close to Pennant including walks in the Arth Valley and the coastline at Aberarth which connects to the All Wales Coastal Path some two miles away as the crow flies.
Close by are the ruins of Dinerth Castle, once consisting of a motte and bailey, that is located on a promontory between the River Arth and its tributary, the Nant Erthig.
The castle has a troubled history, changing hands many times in medieval times before being razed completely in the early 13th Century.
The village boasts a fine chapel, Pennant Chapel, a local store and Post Office. For many years the Ship Inn public house was the centrepiece of the village however this has now reverted to a private dwelling.
In the 19th Century the counties of Ceredigion (Cardiganshire as it was then known) and Montgomeryshire played a prominent role in the emigration to America, as part of the movement of Welsh religious independents to break away from the established Church of England.
A large proportion of these emigrants settled in Ohio, particularly in the rural farming communities of Paddy's Run (now Shandon), Gomer and Venedocia. The two most prominent emigrants were Edward Bebb and Ezekiel Hughes, who settled in Butler County, Ohio near Paddy's Run. Edward Bebb's son, William, became governor of the State of Ohio.
The first Welsh people to reach Jackson and Gallia counties in southeast Ohio were led by John Jones, Tirbach, the owner of the Ship Inn in the village of Pennant. These settlers reached America in 1818, and during the following two decades over 3,000 emigrants followed them from the rural villages of central Ceredigion.
The original group of settlers became quite well-known and they are still referred to as the 1818 Welsh. By writing home the emigrants succeeded in influencing other families from the districts around Pennant to follow them.
Following the second World War it is said that some of their descendants paid a visit to Pennant and took back with them the sign from the Ship Inn.