Old Radnor, meaning 'red bank or hill side' is situated on the England-Wales border in Powys, South Wales. With its excellent location in the hills, it has spectacular views of the countryside in almost every direction.
Old Radnor's main landmark is its magnificent church. Although dedicated to St Stephen, it is believed that when the Normans arrived at the site they already found a church there dedicated to Welsh saint Ystyffan.
The present building dates back to the 13th century, but is mostly 14th and 15th century. Interestingly the stone slab found in the floor of the nave has been identified as the grave of Hugh Mortimer, who acted as the old rector of the town between 1257 and 1290. The font is pre-Norman and one of the oldest in the country, including what could be a prehistoric altar.
There are both north and south aisles, a porch and a tower in the west of the building. Fortunately the aumbries and piscinas have survived, although the original five altars have gone. However Old Radnor church has retained its 15th century screen, which is considered to be “one of the finest screens in Wales.”