Ogmore-by-Sea is a seaside village in the Vale of Glamorgan, South Wales. It sits at the mouth of the River Ogmore, south west of Ogmore and 4 miles (7km) south west of Bridgend.
Ogmore-by-sea has a popular sandy beach with rock pools for the children to explore. However although bathing and surfing is allowed, subject to the safety notices at the lifeguard station, the proximity to the estuary makes bathing unsafe from parts of the beach. The coastline is a popular area for sea fishing. Parking is available in a Pay and Display Car Park next to the beach and shops are available in the village.
There are many walks criss-crossing the landscape at Ogmore-by-Sea including the Valeways Millennium Heritage Trail, the cliff-top Glamorgan Heritage Coastline and the All Wales Coastal Path.
In bygone days the west-facing beach and rocky coastline was notorious as a graveyard for ships during strong on-shore winds. Many ships in particular were destroyed on Tusker Rock, a brutal reef slightly out to sea that is totally covered at high tide. Organised shipwrecking was not unknown - where lanterns would be tied to a cliff-top bull or cow at night and passing ships would mistake the flickering light as a lighthouse and be lured to destruction.
Today the coastline is well known as a rock climbing location and walkers enjoy the wild plants and flowers, such as thrift and wild cabbage that throng the cliff-top.
It is also an interesting place geologically with a variety of fossils clearly visible.
Close by stands the ruins of Ogmore Castle, the history of which goes back to Norman times. The Norman William de Londres built the first settlement, presumably a motte, here in 1116. In 1126 William's son Maurice de Londres added a rectangular stone tower to the fortification. The history of the castle from then onwards is very brief: the de Londres family owned Ogmore for some time, before it passed into the hands of Payn de Chaworth, lord of Kidwelly, late in the 13th century. In 1298 Matilda, the de Chaworth heiress, married Henry Earl of Lancaster and in consequence the castle became part of the Duchy of Lancaster, where it still remains today.