Llantrisant can be found north of Pontyclun and south of Pontypridd in the county of Rhondda Cynnon Taff, South Wales. The town sits between the rivers Ely and Clun and derives its name from the three saints, St Illtyd, St Dyfonwg and St Gwynno, with 'trisant' meaning 'three saints'.
The site of Llantrisant Parish Church, the church of the three saints, is believed to have been a place of Christian worship since at least the 7th Century, and in 1096 the parish church was built and dedicated. The church was rebuilt by Richard de Clare in 1246 in the Norman style and in the 15th Century the tower was added. Its interior houses an effigy of a 13th century warrior.
Llantrisant castle was built c.1250 by Richard de Clare, Lord of Glamorgan. It was partly destroyed in 1294 as a result of an invasion led by Madog ap Llywelyn against the Normans. It was damaged again in 1316, this time by Llywelyn Bren, and was ruined in 1404 by Owain Glyndwr. In 1536, John Leland wrote that the castle was all but destroyed.
Today the focal point of the town is the Bull Ring. Bull fighting took place here until 1827 when it was banned because of the riotous crowds. A statue of Richard Price, one of the first men to do a cremation, stands in the square.
In 1967, the Royal Mint moved its premises at Tower Hill, London, to Llantrisant.