Llandough (sometime Llandochau) is situated north of Penarth and to the west of Cardiff, in the Vale of Glamorgan, South Wales. It is sometimes described as Llandough-juxta-Penarth, and is often confused with another village of the same name (Llandough sometime Llandough-juxta-Cowbridge), situated to the south of Cowbridge in the same county of the Vale of Glamorgan.
Llandough sits on the banks of the River Ely, two miles north west of the Severn Estuary. It is best-known as the site of one of largest hospitals in the Cardiff area. Llandough Hospital was opened in 1934, and has been considerably extended since then. It now features a main corridor around one mile in length.
Llandough Church seems to have been almost wholly re-built with the present church, dedicated to St Dochdwy's, being consecrated in July 1866. The first permanent church building was erected in the 12th century and, after restoration in the 18th century, remained in use until 1820. This original building made way for not one but two new churches in the 19th century, the first being deemed too small for the growing population after only 40 years of service. Rather unusually this church was removed stone by stone and rebuilt as St. James' Leckwith, making way for the current St Dochdwy's in 1866.
Parts of the original church remain however and the chancel arch is Norman and there are windows of Decorated character. The church comprises a chancel, a striking South tower under slated roof, aisled nave, and North vestry. There is a 5-light traceried window to the West front. The nave has 3-bay pointed-arch arcades and an arched and cusped wind-brace collar beams to the roof.
In the churchyard is a beautiful ancient cross dating back to either the 10th or 11th century. The cross is almost complete, and is unique in design, being quite different from that of any other cross in Britain. The monument is made of Sutton stone and measures 9'9” by 2'3”, consisting of an uppermost square shaft, with bold roll mouldings at the four corners, supported on a pedestal resembling a column, with the capital and base each formed from a separate stone.