Ffynnongroyw is a village in Flintshire, North Wales. It stands on the banks of the Dee Estuary and straddles the A548 road between Talacre and Mostyn.
As with many Welsh names Ffynnongroyw can be a bit of a tongue twister for the English tongue. However, the name derives from the two Welsh words "Ffynnon" meaning well and "groyw" meaning clear. The trick is to pronounce the w of “groyw” as “oo” in “pool”.
The original well is still in existence and is just off Well Street in the village.
Nearby is the site of the old Point of Ayr Colliery, which opened and developed in the late nineteenth century. Before the Colliery opened the village was all fields with only a few little cottages. The arrival of the colliery resulted in the considerable growth of the village with people migrating here from many different regions of Wales and England, and most of the terraced houses to be found in the village were built between 1890 and 1920.
Walks, Cycle Trails and Other Activities
The Chester to Point of Ayr section of the Wales Coastal Path runs through the centre of the village, diverting away from the banks of the River Dee for a short while.
A circular walk via the valleys of the Afon-y-Garth and Nant Felin-blwm, skirts both the villages of Trelogan and Tre-Mostyn.
Attractions nearby include: the Greenfield Heritage Valley; remains of Basingwerk Abbey; and Saint Winifride's Well (5 miles to the south east).
To the north west are the wide sandy beaches at Talacre, and the RSPB Nature Reserve on the banks of the River Dee (2 miles).