Blackwood sits on the Sirhowy river in Caerphilly, South Wales. The river rises from its source at Cefn Pyllau-duon mountain and flows through Sion-Sieffre's reservoir, Tredegar and Blackwood, before joining the Ebbw river by Crosskeys.
The Sirhowy Valley Walk makes its way past Blackwood, and weaves its way through the Sirhowy Valley along the banks of the river from its confluence with the River Ebw toward Tredegar and southern edge of the Brecon Beacons National Park.
Unlike many other towns and villages in South Wales, Blackwood never became a mining town. However, in 1925 the Coal Industry and Social Welfare Organisation opened a Snooker Hall in the town. The hall would see huge success for several decades: by 1936 it comprised a ladies' room, rehearsal rooms, reading room, library, auditorium and a dance floor, whilst programmes included reading groups, snooker, billiards and Tea Dances.
Unfortunately the building fell into disrepair with the closure of many Welsh collieries, and closed for some time. In 1992 it was reopened by Islwyn Borough Council and is now used as a performance theatre, with previous acts including the Welsh National Opera, Ken Dodd and Jasper Carrot.
The Baptist church, known as Mount Pleasant, dates back to Victorian times. The building is simple and contains beautiful stained glass windows but surprisingly, a tower was never added to the structure.