Bedwas can be found in the heart of Caerphilly, South Wales. It is bordered by Abertridwr to the west, Trethomas to the east, Mynydd Dimlaeth mountain to the north and Caerphilly to the south west. The Rhymney runs to the south of Bedwas from its source just above Princetown. From the village it flows onwards through Caerphilly and Machen before entering the sea at the Severn estuary in Cardiff Bay.
Bedwas built up as a coal mining village in the late 19th century. By 1913 the construction of the Bedwas Navigation Colliery, one of the four mines in the village, had been finished. Although it acted as a successful colliery for many years afterwards, it was closed for good in the 1984 Miners' Strike.
The village church is dedicated to St Barrwg and dates back to the 14th century. Although heavily restored during the Victorian period, when stained glass windows were added to the building, the church still retains many of its original features. These include the north nave windows, the saddleback tower and the panelled wagon roof in the nave. In the churchyard can be found a magnificent 14th century preaching cross.