Baglan can be found between Port Talbot and Briton Ferry in the county of Neath Port Talbot, South Wales. Baglan is located on the side of a steep hill and is surrounded by two main hills, Mynydd-y-Gaer (to the north) and Mynydd Dinas (to the east). The moors and Baglan Bay are to the south west. The village contains a number of historical buildings such as Baglan House, St. Catharine's Church, and St. Baglan's Church. The first St. Baglan's Church is now a shell after a fire in 1954.
As legend goes, St Baglan was told to build a church where he would find a tree growing three kinds of fruit. The saint found the tree here, surrounded by three different things: a hive of bees in the trunk, a sow with her litter underneath it, and a crow who had made a nest in the branches. Baglan didn't think the location was good enough for his church and began building one elsewhere. However, this building fell down during the night and he accepted the place he had been guided to and began building a second church there. Sadly the church was destroyed by fire centuries later.
The present church at Baglan is dedicated to St Catharine's and was consecrated by the Bishop of Llandaff, Dr Ollivant, on March 7th 1882. It is of Victorian Gothic design, with a belfry tower and spire topped with a weathervane. The original bells were placed in the tower in 1882, and four more were added in 1889.
Inside there is an Italian mosaic floor, complete with rich colours, and a stained glass window of St Catharine, which was added in 1973. Near the door is the interesting Brancuf Stone, which was originally used as a coping stone in the churchyard. It is believed to date back to the 9th century and the fine details show that it is Irish stone. The interior also includes a Norman font.