St Cadwaladr's Church Llangadwaladr, the old Church of St Cadwaladr's, home to the Cadfan Stone, Anglesey Wales
Home Ancient Churches Map of Ancient Welsh Churches >  St Cadwaladr's Church Llangadwaladr
DIRECTIONS > [ Map of St Cadwaladr's Church Llangadwaladr location Map opens in a new window

Exit the A55 at junction 6 , take the A5 north to junction with B4422. Bear left and continue to A4080. Continue south west on the A4080 through Hebron for 1 mile to Llangadwaladr. Church on right before crossroads.

St Cadwaladr's Church Llangadwaladr
St Cadwaladr's Church is located in the hamlet of Llangadwaladr, between the villages of Newborough and Malltraeth on the A4080 road in the west of Anglesey, North Wales. St Cadwaladr, to whom the church is dedicated may well have been a prince of the royal house of Gwynedd, who died in AD 664, and from whom the Tudor dynasty claim to be descendants. Nothing survives of the church of Cadwaladr's day indeed the earliest church would probably have been built of wood, for St Cadwaladr's was once called Eglwys Ail – the Wattle Church.

The church contains some of the best ecclesiastical architecture in the county of Anglesey with parts of the stone building being of perpendicular style and has various dates of construction including: the nave - 12th to early 13th Century; chancel - 14th Century; north chapel - 1640; south chapel - 1661; south porch - added during restorations in 1856.

Llangadwaladr church

The magnificent east window in the chancel contains the only medieval glass to survive in quantity on Anglesey. The late fifteenth century stained glass window is unusual in that its depiction of the Crucifixion shows a translucent Christ painted to show the bones. Christ is accompanied by four angels and, on the left, by the Saints Mary and John. These are above a panel with the donors of the window, Meuric ap Llywelyn of Bodowen and his wife Marged. On the right, their son Owain ap Meuric and his wife Elen Meredith of Glynllifon are in a scene of battle. The window was the gift of Meuric ap Llywelyn and his wife in thanks-giving for their son Owain’s safe return from the Battle of Bosworth in 1485.

The Bodowen Chapel in the south-east corner of Llangadwaladr Church, added in 1659–61, is a combination of classical and Gothic styles. The southern façade has a projecting central gable with diagonal buttressing. The south and east windows are Perpendicular, with two tiers of trefoiled lights. There is a fine monument to the founders of the chapel, the Royalist Colonel Hugh Owen and his wife Ann Williams of Llys Dulas.

Externally the church offers fine examples of 19th century stone carving with a number of gargoyles built into the east and north walls. It is such a shame that inappropriate work has been undertaken, redirecting the water via modern gutter boxes.

But Saint Cadwaladr's is most renowned as the home to the Cadfan Stone, sometimes known as the Catamanus stone. Found close to the site the 7th Century inscribed stone, built into the north wall of the nave opposite the porch, commemorates King Cadfan of Gwynedd, Cadwaladr’s grandfather. It is the most important gravestone in Anglesey and it demonstrates that the site was the burial ground associated with the royal court at Aberffraw some mile or so to the north.

Gargoyle at Llangadwaladr church


The inscription refers to one of the early kings of Gwynedd - Cadfan - who died about AD 625 - thus providing a key to dating other similar stones where a similar style is used. The lettering is a mixture of Roman capitals and half-uncials, a manuscript hand. The phraseology reflects the standards of elegance and learning at the Court of Gwynedd in the 7th Century. Translated to English it reads "King Catamus (Cadfan in Welsh) wisest and most renowned of all kings lies here"

CHURCH WEBSITE >

St Cadwaladr's Church Llangadwaladr
Cadfan stone, St  St Cadwaladr's Church Llangadwaladr
1.St Cadwaladr's Church Llangadwaladr 2. Cadfan stone St Cadwaladr's Church Llangadwaladr
The late Gothic south chapel, St Cadwaladr's Church Llangadwaladr
West Gable St Cadwaladr's Church Llangadwaladr
3.The late Gothic Bodowen south chapel, St Cadwaladr's Church Llangadwaladr 4. West Gable St Cadwaladr's Church Llangadwaladr.
Triple bellcote with two bells, St Cadwaladr's Church Llangadwaladr
East wall, St Cadwaladr's Church Llangadwaladr
5.Triple bellcote with two bells, St Cadwaladr's Church Llangadwaladr 6.East wall, St Cadwaladr's Church
Gargoyle at St Cadwaladr's Church Llangadwaladr
Gargoyle on east wall St Cadwaladr's Church Llangadwaladr
7. Gargoyle at St Cadwaladr's Church Llangadwaladr 8.Gargoyle on east wall, St Cadwaladr's Church Llangadwaladr
Gargoyle on east wall, St Cadwaladr's Church Llangadwaladr
Gargoyle on north wall Llangadwaladr Church
9.Gargoyle on east wall, St Cadwaladr's Church 10.Gargoyle on north wall Llangadwaladr Church
Stone carving or headstop on east wall, St Cadwaladr's Church Llangadwaladr
Female headstop on east wall, Llangadwaladr Church
11.Stone carving or headstop, male, St Cadwaladr's Church 12.Stone carving or headstop, female, Llangadwaladr Church
On this page you can find information about Churches in Wales. If its not what you are looking for please click below to find more interesting places in Wales
Go to tourist attractions Map of Wales Holiday Cottages in Wales To search for accommodation by maps of Wales
Walesdirectory.co.uk, where you can find info on St Cadwaladr's Church Llangadwaladr.
You may make an instant secure hotel or cottage reservation close to this attraction. Hotel and cottage availability and rates are confirmed online prior to booking. Simply click through to the accommodation page, choose a suitable property, check availability, including dates of stay, to confirm the exact room rate and reserve the accommodation.
Accommodation Near By