Where to go, what to see, where to stay in Wales

Home | Llanrwst Church, Llanrwst, pictures of St Grwst's Church and information about Saint Grwst Church, Llanrwst, north Wales
Wales > Ancient Churches >  St Grwst's Church Llanrwst

Add to Favourites

Ancient Churches:

Attractions:

Hotels nearby >

Click for Hotels  nearby

Cottages nearby >

Click for cottages nearby

 

Llanrwst Church is located on the banks of the Conwy River close to the centre of the town St Grwst Church,  Llanrwst Churchof Llanrwst. Dedicated to the 6th Century celtic saint Grwst, the Church of St Grwst dates back to the 12th Century and was rebuilt in 1470 and restored in the late 19th Century.

The church features a richly carved oak rood screen with meticulous carvings of the Instruments of the Crucifixion (ladder, nails, spear, crown of thorns) in its tracery. and a minstrel's gallery above. The adjoining Gwydir Chapel dates from the early 17th century and has several historically interesting features including memorials to the Wynn family of Gwydir, together with the old cold stone coffin of Llywelyn the Great (Llywelyn ap Iorwerth).

The chapel also contains some magnificent portrait brasses and an effigy of a knight in armour accompanies the empty coffin of Prince Llywelyn. Appropriately the early 15th Century effigy is of a descendant of Llywelyn, Hywel Coetmor a hero of the Battle of Agincourt.
A plaque explains how after his death in 1240 Llewelyn the Great was laid to rest in the confines of Aberconwy Abbey in the town of Conwy and later removed to Maenan Abbey further down the Conwy Valley. Sadly the coffin was removed during the dissolution of the monasteries and although the "splendid sarcophagus of Llywelyn now lies on display within the harmonious sanctuary of these holy walls" the whereabouts of Llywelyn's bones remain a mystery.

Directions:    [ Map of Llanrwst Church, Llanrwst  ]

Take the lane that leads from the north west corner of the town square, Ancaster Square. On the left hand side of the narrow lane is the rear of the Eagles Hotel, and on the right hand side are the Almshouses founded in 1610. The Almshouses are now a Museum and Art Gallery. Continue to the gates at the end of the narrow lane to the church yard of St Grwst Church. The Gwydir Chapel, a 17th century addition, attributed to Inigo Jones, is at the forefront of the Church and is sometimes open to the respectful visitor.

Map opens in a new window

 

Please - click on the pictures - for enlarged pictures of St Grwsts Church, Llanrwst. © All pictures and text copyright Bernard Wellings

Sarcophagus of Llywelyn the Great Stone effigy accompanying Llwelyn's tomb
The coffin of Llywelyn the Great in the Gwydir Chapel at Llanrwst
 
Stone effigy of Hywel Coetmor accompanying Llywelyn's tomb
 Llanrwst Almshouses  
The lane to the church leads past the Llanrwst Almshouses
 

More ancient Welsh Churches :

 

Related tourist information links :

Llanrwst >> Betws-y-Coed >> Conwy >> Capel Garmon >>

Wales tourist information Map >>

Walesdirectory.co.uk, where you can find ancient churches in Wales

Go to tourist Map of Wales >>

.Home |
| Copyright ©   Bernard Wellings   2008
Wales tourist information Wales tourist attractions Holiday Cottages in Wales Hotels in Wales Bed and Breakfast in Wales Towns in Wales and the Welsh Borders, tourist information, pictures, and a bit of history A selection of Welsh historic sites